Sunday, March 21, 2010

When darkness drops

The day is cool,
and I sit resolutely in my car,
still simmering a bit from a recent argument,
and, waiting for calm to descend,
I watch as the ferry turns
and the light,
streaming through
a thin spot in the cloud layer,
slowly bathes the arch above
in a still pure gift of joy,
pouring over the worn metal
like water over a baby's head,
as if mama squeezed the washcloth
one more time
we giggle together,
ferry and I and baby
reveling in the soft warm tickle
of the drips of light
flowing over us,
then slide into quiet dreaming
as darkness drops and the rain begins.


* * *

2 comments:

Maureen said...

There is a lot of tenderness in this poem. I like it a lot.
Another quite interesting image, too.

Katherine W. said...

Thinking about the giggling, I actually burst out loud laughing. What a compelling image!