Saturday, March 6, 2010

Something in her hands

Sometimes,
when I'm driving,
I can see my mother's hands
upon the wheel,
though her fingers were much stubbier than mine.

It's not just the wrinkles,
or the veins and spots --
those signs of age that we've begun to share --
but the way she'd crook her thumb;
something in the tensing of the knuckles
that always gave away
her restless impatience --
to be there,
to be gone,
to be living
some other life,
fulfilling some other purpose --
to be anywhere but here,
driving me.


* * *

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one.

Jan said...

This evokes much in me. Reminding me of my mother, who died 18 years ago in Bellingham.

Maureen said...

I like this a lot. It prompts me to think of all the times I spent driving my only where he needed to go, all the times that added up to so much time. It wasn't time for me. Now I can drive myself anywhere, anytime, and I miss the driving times and time with him.