Sunday, March 14, 2010

Robo-Girl

Some part of me's mechanical,
and physical;
wired to question and explain,
to step and move,
to analyze and prioritize.

Some other part's rhetorical,
more interested in questions
than in answers;
more interested in the flow of words
than in what they convey;
more driven by the need to reach, and grasp
than by the desire to have.

Which part is this, that's surfacing today?
And if I show you that which lies beneath,
does it become reality?
Tell me truly: would you love this girl as much
if you couldn't see her lips, her nose,
the expression in her eyes?
It's the unified effect that makes her moving.


"Robo-Girl" by David Holmes, from the Museum of Wisconsin Art

* * *

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I somehow missed this one yesterday. Quite an assemblage!

I especially like the last line of this poem. It deftly pulls everything into a just-right conclusion.