Friday, December 11, 2009

No place to stand

Today there seems to be
no place to stand --
no higher ground,
no level playing field --
but just this helpless falling,
clinging to a camel-shaped crack in the rock,
wondering where the light has gone
and what on earth
possessed me to follow this stupid star
because the only way out appears to be
an attempt to walk on water.
I've tried that before,
and found this faith was not enough;
whatever made me think
things had improved at all with age?
Oh, perhaps that's it;
I've galloped off in yet another wrong direction:
looking back, I see the star
is gleaming far behind me
and wonder again if life has passed me by
while I pursued what I had thought were hallowed dreams.


* * *

1 comment:

Maureen said...

This one seems full of tiredness, of dead-ending, of not knowing which way to turn; and yet, that water, once its surface is struck, will ripple out, the circles getting bigger and bigger the farther from the center we go, and so like, maybe, God's arms stretching to hold us, corral us, get us back on the straight and narrow.