Wednesday, January 28, 2009

After

Piecing together a life,
after it has been broken open,
finding the stable background fabric,
waiting for the bursts of color to return,
cherishing those neutral moments,
the steady progression of simple things:
a cup of coffee,
the birds singing on the wire,
the quiet crunch of sand, or leaves, underfoot,
understanding the importance of contrast,
light,
dark,
gray -- all working together
in patterns best seen from a distance.

Somehow I understand it will all fit together.

But these days all I can see is that really dark patch in the corner...

tell me it doesn't look like future;
tell me that's not where this is headed.

Find me another place to stand.




* * *

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and a sentiment I can very much relate to right now. Thank you!