Thursday, October 8, 2009

On Nature and Sustainability

What nature leaves behind
when she uses or destroys
still seems to have
some gracious contribution
to the landscape;
some shape or form
which even as it disintegrates
provides a home,
or food,
or fuel,
or even just enhances someone's view,

While we --
who clutter up our lives
with bottles, cans and cellphones,
used equipment and containers --
cannot sustain
but only hoard;
fail to conserve
and litter pristine landscapes
with our old discarded toys.


* * *

6 comments:

KimQuiltz said...

Amen and amen! Beautiful, beautiful poem!

I have been trying to be more aware of how much waste I am generating, but I know that trying isn't enough. Until recently I had been looking forward to the day when I could buy a new cell phone (my two years are up in March) and now...now I think it's a great phone, does all I need it to do and you've seen my outdoor scenic photos, I took those with my phone camera!

Thanks for the reminder to just "made do".

Ha, I'm also reminded of the t-shirt that my Big Man and son Shane want me to make them: "Save the freakin' whales, Douche Bag!" (
They've been watching "Whale Wars" on TV)

Maureen said...

I came across this phrase on a blog today: "to see a landscape as it is when I am not here".

That line has a lot of different meanings. It seems particularly apt, given your poem.

drw@bainbridge.net said...

Thank you both! It seems particularly appropriate to note (by the way) my husband's pet name, back in the day when he was a climber, was "Douche Bag." Can't you just FEEL the synchronicity!

Maureen - sustainability indicators maven - said...

and talk about synchronicity - you got another Maureen to make a comment. I really like the picture - is that on Bainbridge?

drw@bainbridge.net said...

Nope, that one was taken up on Hurricane Ridge.

KimQuiltz said...

LOL That's too much synchronicity for me! Any more like that and I'll start believing in God!