Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life on the cusp

I'm grateful for the color pink
-- though it doesn't look that great on me --
and for the scent of lilies
-- which sometimes makes me sneeze --
and for the freckles on this flower
-- though I find the ones on my own aging skin
seem somewhat less appealing.

I'm grateful, too, for the contrast
between light and dark --
the crisp sharp edges where they meet
add so much life to art --
but I confess:
I find it very hard
to live on that cusp,
to flirt with both;
to know the agony of dark
and the ecstasy of light
are both so close
is absolutely
terrifying.


* * *

1 comment:

Maureen said...

How well you say what so many of us feel or have felt about that duality of light and dark, in all things, in ourselves, . . . and then I think of your image the other day, showing that crack of light in the early morning fog, and am reminded of the Leonard Cohen quote, ". . . there is a crack in everything. . . that's how the light gets in."

On our "Our Cancer" site we have places for daily gratitude, daily joys, and daily musings. All three are needed to remember our days are more than physical, emotional, and spiritual pain.