Saturday, August 4, 2012

Made in the image

Why --
when the dog barks
and I look out my window
to see what set him off
and spot instead
the moon,
lifting her golden bucket
and pouring streaks of light
across the lagoon --
why do I not step outside
to sit on my bench
and drink that liquid joy?


Why reach for a camera,
when I know it can't begin
to capture the color
that sings through all that light;
can't begin to capture the wonder of that first sighting?
Or is it enough
to grab a glimpse,
a frail and faulty image,
so that seeing we might imagine
the truth that lies behind --
much as we,
seeing other beings
made in the image of God,
can begin to imagine
the Truth that lies behind...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The moon, lifting her golden bucket" is exquisite. I am so glad I stumbled upon your slideshow on YouTube. Your photos and poems – and the Spirit infusing them - are treasures.

Diane Walker said...

Thanks so much for your kind remarks; I'm glad you found me!