Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hot August Night

Into the cool evening
stars are falling,
plummeting from the sky
in great streaks of wonder,
hurling themselves
from the decks of flying clouds
like souls
diving into the newborn
eager for a taste
of color and sound,
of sweet fresh strawberries
and ripe green melons.
I lie on my back
in this old webbed lawn chair
stroking my fingers
through the soft wet grass
and watch the night sky
wondering at the urgency
of those bright streaks
tracing their passion
on a hot August night.


* * *

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Lovely, Diane. I especially like "I. . . and watch the night sky / wondering at the urgency / of those bright streaks / tracing their passion. . . ."

I learned this morning of the death of 31-year-old Chris al-Aswad, who created an incredible site, Escape Into Life. I'd gotten to know him a bit over the last months. He was an incredible encourager and supporter and just last week had sent me a lovely note. His passion was all the arts and he built a huge online following and community. We're all in shock. It was his star last night that plummeted from the sky.