Tuesday, May 25, 2010

On being away from home

I'm pleased to find,
in your world as in mine,
that there's a mix
of sacred and profane,
of ancient gods,
and darker skins,
of books both old and new,
of flowers pink, and yellow, and blue,
of metal and wood,
of pottery and glass,
with a basket or two
to hold the bread we'll share.
Don't shed a tear for me,
for I can see
I'll be at home
in your world as in mine:
all I could ever need is here:
a mask to wear,
a bottle or two and a prayer;
a table to eat on, a cup to drink from
and a bit of color to brighten up my day.


Today's poem is a response to a prompt from Carry On Tuesday; it's the opening line from the Bee Gee’s song My World: "Don't shed a tear for me." To read the lyrics and watch a video of the Bee Gees singing My World click HERE.

* * *

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I like how you worked in the prompt. It seems natural.

I wrote "Bird Lands" for Cunning Poets Society instead of taking up Carry on Tuesday's prompt this week. There's also a fun Barbie-related activity I'm involved in; details when I post the poem soon. I hope you'll join in.