Sunday, November 1, 2009

Getting beyond perfectionism

The problem
with being a perfectionist
is this:
even when you're doing something new,
for the very first time,
you can't give yourself permission
to make mistakes
and you keep wondering
is this okay?
and will this work?
and am I doing it right?
and how did SHE do it?
and how will this measure up?

And when you're done you think
I should have used a finer pointed pen -- and then you realize
you didn't pay attention to a single stroke.
Perfectionism
just gets in the way of
BEING.


***

1 comment:

Loud Pipes said...

This is such a wonderful poem! Would you mind if I used it for a Literature and Poetry for Health and Well-Being course that I am taking? It would be for educational purposes only. I think this poem would be very useful in therapy for perfectionists!